Saturday, September 6, 2008

It's time

Well everybody, I think it's time to announce my big plans. I think most of you already know them. When I get out of college I want to cruise the Great Lakes for a year. If I can get the money, I may never stop. Perhaps the ocean will be next, but that's too far for me to dream right now.
So, I've been looking on yachtworld.com for boats might stand up to light cruising, and are in my price range. Surprisingly there are one or two. No guarantee that they're in good shape, but it's a start. Pearson 26's are regularly available for that price, but they usually have some structural issues, and no inboard engine. I think I would like a Catalina 27, but they're usually pretty expensive. Who knows, there might be some gem out there just waiting for me; we'll see.
So far I'm looking at doing the whole thing on $5000. That's $2,500 for the boat and the rest for outfitting and supplies. Right now it's not looking good. If I could get an investor... yeah, like that's going to happen. Maybe an investor would pop up if I were cruising the world like Nick on Bigoceans.com. Anyways, That's my dream, so this year is all about saving money, and next summer is for making more. That fall I suspect I'll buy whatever boat I decide on (I think fall prices are usually better). Vacations will be repair time. And, somewhere in there I'll have to get some sailing time on similar sized boats.
Anyways, that's my dream. We'll see how it goes.

(Note: I am not a licensed captain nor do I pretend to be. Although, I hope to be one someday.)

No comments:

Counter