Saturday, September 6, 2008

It's time (update)

It's hard to believe, but I may in fact already be approaching the first step of my plans. Ok, building Adra was actually the first step as I improved my woodworking skills, understanding of boat construction, and sailing experience. Besides that, every good cruiser needs a tender. The point is, I've found a boat. Maybe.
I have found a 28' Pearson Triton for sale, that may be in my price range. Problem is, it's in Mendon, Massachusetts, and I don't know how to A) get out there and survey it, and B) how to get it home. I can catch a bus to Framingham, but it will cost $72 round trip that I don't know if I can afford, and I would still be in Framingham. Unless I can get a ride, or feel like hitchhiking the last 20 miles to where the boat is it doesn't look good. So I've been spending hours and hours of the last few days getting information on boat buying, shipping, and repair, as well as looking into bus routes there and water routes home.
Oh, and did I mention the boat is "salvaged?" Yeah. Apparently it broke loose from it's mooring and hit another boat. The damage looks minimal, but there's no way to know without looking. I still have to inquire as to yard fees, and liens that may be tacked on to the boat.
But IF the boat is really as cheap as listed and IF it's seaworthy, and IF I can get enough time, it MIGHT be possible to sail/motor the boat home. If not, I'm looking into boat shipping fees. This could get very expensive...

No comments:

Counter