Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas!

    Good day to all my readers. I'm currently sitting on my brother's, Andy's, couch just outside Atlanta, GA. Cassandra is safely anchored in Factory Creek near Beaufort, SC for the week while I go visiting. I'll be back aboard on the 26th. Most of you know my laptop gave out on the way to Georgetown, but I didn't mention that my cellphone also stopped being able to send of receive texts. Luckily, I was able to get on ebay and order an identical replacement phone and a new keyboard for my lappy (that's laptop for those of you not familiar with the Strongbad-ism). Both came in shortly after I got in at my brother's and my electronics are all up and running again.
    In some ways I liked being without texting or gps. I felt like I was truly exploring new areas. I got to skirt around hidden mud shoals by the ripples on the water and a careful eye on the depthsounder. I got to guess the tide state and range by the docks, other boats at anchor, and direction of the current. I got to feel lost on occasion. As a member of the PDRacer forum, John Wright, once said, "Without the element of uncertainty and even danger... there is no adventure." Without my nav. computer there was definitely more uncertainty, and somehow it felt more like an adventure. Amazing what 'old' guys know.
    I'm trying to make myself useful while I'm here. I tore apart a bread maker, but couldn't get it to work. I spent a few hours pounding dents out of my brother's wrecked car. There's more work there than I can accomplish in the next day which I feel a little bad about. I did manage to fix their entryway lamp, but that seems to pale in comparison to the food, lodging, and touristy things they've shared with me these past few days. I feel like I've been taking much more than I've been receiving on this trip. So many people have been so kind to me, and it feels like I haven't been able to return the favor, or pay it forward. I hope to remedy that in the coming months.
    So, the plan is to shoot through Georgia and on into Florida where my sister and I will try to connect somewhere so she can come along on this unusual expedition. Hopefully I'll also be able to meet up with my friend Don and do a little cruising. Last I heard he was in Palm Beach. I'd also like to meet back up with Impulse if possible; I'd like my anchor back someday, and it's been a while since I've seen them. Incidentally, you can follow them over on lifeforsail if you want to know what they're up to. I'm always amused, and starkly aware of the difference of experiences for a boat of three and my boat of one.
    So there it is, my life in a nutshell. I feel a little guilty for not having more to tell you yet.
Happy Christmas, Merry New Year and Slán for now.
 -Brian \|/ 

No comments:

Counter