Friday, July 9, 2010

Homeward Bound

So, after spending days away from... anyone... at the park I decided I could use a laundromat and some civilization, and since the weather was being less that cooperative, I decided I would return to Sackets Harbor. It was a wet and wild ride fighting the waves on the way down. Into the wind on the way out, and unable to sail straight south because the waves were trying to roll Cassandra on her beam ends. Anyways, I got in and got Cassie tied up to the town dock. There's a Laundromat out by Madison Barracks but it works on a card system so through odd circumstances, it basically would have cost $10 to do a load of laundry. Not worth it.
I then went and celebrated my first successful heavy weather trip with a burger and cheesecake at The Boathouse. I was also able to pick up a wireless signal at the dock, where I posted the last two updates.
The plan at this point was to sail from Sackets Harbor to Oswego so I could drop the mast and swing over to Lake Erie for a bit.
Well, the first day out I overslept a bit and wanted to see a museum before I headed out which meant it was noon by the time I got on the water. The waves were still high, and I couldn't get my jib to cooperate. I hadn't been able to get a full hoist on it, and the sheets were too short, so I'd have to chase them on every tack. I only made it to Stony Island that night and was so frustrated by then I was ready to run the boat aground and be done. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed and I drifted off to sleep riding uncomfortably at anchor in a cove.
The next day I was up earlier and rigged my genoa sheet to the jib so I wouldn't have to chase it every tack, and I made sure to use the winch when hoisting the jib so it would be better behaved today. I departed the anchorage at 10AM and was just motoring up to the dock in Oswego at 9:30 PM after a long day at the tiller.

No comments:

Counter