Saturday, July 10, 2010

15 Miles on the Erie Canal.


After giving up a significant value in tools to the Oswego Harbor it was time to embark on the next leg of the journey. My sister and I set out through the locks making good time (to my thinking) and made it through locks 8-3 of the Oswego Canal. By the way, there is no lock 4. We were lucky at lock 3. They close up for the night at 9:45 and they were just starting to close the gates when we arrived, at 9:42. We were able to lock through and pull into a small marina for the night that located between locks 2 and 3. Overnight tie up was free with power and water, but we didn't have a long enough extension cord. The next day we locked through locks 2 and 1, meeting Mom and Dad at the tie-ups upstream of lock 1 for lunch. Christine was tired of the sun and the heat and Dad wanted to go through at least one lock, so they traded out for the last lock, Lock 24 in Baldwinsville, my home town. We locked through, which Dad enjoyed more than I would have thought someone could enjoy a lock. From there we tied Cassandra up along the upstream wall where she is sitting patiently while I enjoy the comforts of home, friends and family. I'm not sure where I'm going to put her after the two days allowed at the wall are over, but I have to find someplace while I wait for my new winch handle and some cruising guides to come in the mail.
Oh yeah, still not sure where we're bound next.

No comments:

Counter