Thursday, December 5, 2013

Traveling in Time and Space.

    Where do I begin... I'm currently in Southport, North Carolina waiting for SomeDay to catch up. They should be in sometime today. I got my hair cut and shampooed, a treat I can tell you. And I also picked up some copper wire and jewelers' pliers so I can start making some pendants and things that maybe someone will buy. On that note, I was doing the math last night and my student loan payments till May almost equal the amount I have in checking. Pinching pennies will become important quickly; gotta stop eating out.
    So where did we leave off? Oh yes,  I was leaving Elizabeth City. I got a head start on SomeDay who left a day after I did. The couple on Permission Impossible stayed to sell off their small outboard for food money. It was three days or so to get to Belhaven where SomeDay and I stopped to wait out heavy winds. From there I went on to a beautiful marina at $1.50 a foot where I had my first shower in a week and enjoyed a sort of Thanksgiving dinner of Roastbeef, gravy, mashed potatoes, and corn. The following day we pulled into Oriental where I met an older Canadian couple headed south on their Catalina 37. They had leftovers from a Thanksgiving potluck which they gladly shared as we talked into the night about boats, scale models, and film careers among numerous other things. So far that has been one of my favorite interactions of this trip, one of those moments you treasure up in your heart, as it were.
   From Oriental it was a short 25 mile hop down to Moorhead City, then 30 or so a day to Swansboro, Sloop Point anchorage, and finally Carolina Beach where I spent last night. SomeDay was a day behind again and I took the opportunity to stop in at a bar and grill which was having an open mike night. It was a long but pleasant row from the boat to the town docks at the far end of the basin, and even more pleasant on the trip home. The water was glass smooth, rumpled only briefly by the passage of Hope and steady strokes of  my oars, the stars glimmering above and again beside me in a breathtaking dual-sky mingling with pleasant self-reflection and passing melancholy. Days like that sum up my existence. A lone soul of happiness and helplessness lost into itself amid the bright bustle of the "normal" lives of everyone around it. Content, and still wanting; a living contradiction.
   So that's the news from Lake Woebegone. I know I've glossed over some things and completely forgotten others. If any of my readers (strange that I actually have readers) want to hear more about anything leave a comment and I'll try to do a post on whatever it is you're interested in hearing about. Salud!

2 comments:

sheila johnson said...

Enjoying your trip and your writing. Jerry and Sheila Johnson

LJ McBurney said...

I'm so glad there are nice people out there to take care of my BB. At prayer group, Mrs. Carroll thanked the Lord for the blessing of sharing your trip through your blog. We are all excited to hear of your travels through time and space! XO Mom

Counter