Saturday, June 26, 2010

Finally, an Update!

Well, it has been a week since my sister and I set out on the first leg of our journey, and what a week it has been... We set off from Fairpoint Marina with my father Friday morning around eight or nine (I forget which.) My dad had to get picked up for work by two that afternoon, and as the wind was so light we had to motor most of the way to a ramp half way to our intended destination, Sodus Bay. Well, after dropping him off we anchored in the bay for lunch, then sailed all the way to Sodus, anchoring for the night. It turns out that the bottom where we (I) chose to anchor was a little more weeded than expected and I don't think we ever got a proper set on the anchor. Luckily the night was relatively calm.
After going over out options of ports headed west we decided to turn around and see what the Eastern coast had to offer. The next day we sailed off the anchor and all the way into Oswego Harbor.
While I was very pleased with this performance it masked an unfortunate truth. Jackson was not well. When motoring the last couple hundred feet to the dock he coughed a few times and finally was silent. One sharp pull was enough to revive him and I was not concerned, he just doesn't run well at low rpms, I reasoned. We spent the night there due to forecast thunderstorms, and the next day as well. When we finally went to leave I started Jackson only to hear an unfortunate studder which would not go away. That morning was spent attempting to solve the problem but to no avail. When we finally left oswego we sailed to a lovely little place, the name of which escapes me. The day after we sailed into a lovely inlet south of Southwick Beach to wait out further storms. This provided us the luxury of walking up the beach to Southwick for well deserved showers.
Another night was spent in the inlet waiting for weather. When We finally left Jackson was not behaving. He died on the way out of the inlet at a rather inopportune moment, but was kind enough to start again on a single pull. He nearly died at least two more times from swallowing the caps of waves on the way into the lake, and I was quick to get under sail and save him from choking. My sister and I had a rather invigorating sail in large (to me) waves up to White's Bay up by Henderson Harbor. That night was the first we shared an anchorage with anybody. We had two other sailboats pull in with us and anchor for the night. We were the first out this morning at 8:15. Our objective for the day, make it to Sackets Harbor and meet Mom there for Christine to take her leave.
Well, all has gone according to plan, and I am now sitting at Chrissy Beanz in Sackets Harbor drinking a hot chocolate and stealing their wireless and electricity to write this. I'm not sure where I will go next or what I will do, but from now on it seems I'm single handing it. I won't lie, I'm afraid. Christine handled raising and lowering the sails, as well as cooking and dropping anchor for me. I'm not sure how I will manage without her, but rest assured I will. I hope to get to a computer more often from now on, but I cannot promise it. Until then, I want everyone to know I am well and that I will see them and be thinking of them as much as ever. Look to facebook for occasional status updates and pictures.
-Brian McB.

No comments:

Counter